Saturday 26 October 2013

Border, Train journey & Kuala Lumpa (KL)

The next day I booked my train to KL an overnight train taking about 9 hours with my very own bed!! cool.  It didn't leave until 11pm, so i had another day in Singapore.  I had a long breakfast chatting to some of the other hostel group, a English lad who was teaching science in china (they paid him a good salary by UK standards and also they pay for his living expenses!! not bad), A women from Hong Kong who had moved to Singa to study and a German who was heading up to Bangkok early the next day, we all agreed to meet for dinner before we all went our separate ways.

the only other worthwhile thing to mention was a local I met while grabbing my lunch in one of the Hawkers markets (I have to say these markets are amazing huge food halls or squares crammed with 100s of stalls selling every type of food you can imagine and all at crazy cheap prices (pound or less!!) and the food is incredible.  I never knew what i was ordering but it was always incredible in the flavors that would burst out of every mouthful!).  He was in the business of furniture manufacturing, he was in his 60s honestly he didnt look a day over 40.  He would travel around the world advising new factories how to set up their business, China, US, Europe SE Asia.  He gave me 3 bits of advice while we chatted

1 - If I was heading to Malaysia I must go to Penang, best place in Malaysia
2 - While I was traveling around SE Asia make sure I kept my eyes open for business opportunity, maybe not Thailand but Laos Cambodia huge potential!
3 - If I did find a business, I would need to have local women as my wife otherwise the locals would not work hard for me.  Sorry Ems :-(    Apparently there many more benefits then just this ;-)

 I spent the rest of day drinking fruit shakes and eating and doing last bit of sight seeing, and then onto my 9 hour overnight train journey. 

I spent the bit extra to get a sleeper cabin with a bunk bed still only came to 140 Ringgit so 28 pounds ish.  (tip if anyone does the same journey make sure you buy the main part of your ticket just inside the Malaysia boarder as its 3 times cheaper). 

So boarder control, another moment when some of my common sense seems to have left me.  For some reason as I got to the boarder (first part was on a bus) I thought I had been told that I need to go through boarder control and then across a sky bridge and get on the train... not quite.  So I happily go through the boarder control, passport stamped and head of to ask the nearest person where the sky bridge is.  he says something to his friend they both smile and laugh he then leads me over to the window and points to a train station back on the Singapore side of the border.  Q me do a quick new VISA and boarder control to Singapore, to the train station to then go through boarder control again to get back into Malaysia :-D the looks the security staff gave me as they checked my documents, thought they where going to take me for full cavity check :-/


The odd looking fried egg and noodles you see, was the complimentary meal with the cabin.  honestly the worst thing I have ever tried!! I tried one mouthful and it was stone cold and made me gag :(






If you have never been on an overnight train, I definitely recommend it.  The swaying of the carriage, as its hurtles towards your destination.  the loud horn blaring as another train passes in the night. 

I got into KL by 8am the next day, refreshed and ready to go and meet the city and people of my second country

No comments:

Post a Comment